Pages

6.26.2014

That Time I Graduated…Finally

UPDATE:

Every so often I look back on my previous posts and think about how I could have written them better.  What I have failed to do with this post is to PROFUSELY thank my parents over and over for all of the hard work, support, and wisdom they have given me over the years during my time at University.  There is absolutely NO WAY that I could have persevered and finished my degree without their help.  I will be forever grateful for all that they have done for me.  

Thanks Mum and Dad - without you I would not be the person I am today.

Wow I really do not know how to start this blog post.  I have written and rewritten the starting sentence about 15 times already.  Do I go with the funny "and my mother never thought I would graduate" sort of line?  Do I go with the sentimental "I can't believe this chapter of my life is over" mushy crap?

How about both...

Ever since I was little there was an understanding that I would go to university, there was never really the option of not attending some form of post secondary academia.  I was never one of those girls who had her heart set on one exact school or program.  My parents always talked fondly of their alma matter, but for some reason I never had a desire to attend UBC.  In grade 10 I thought about being a doctor/plastic surgeon...that lasted all of ten seconds after I watched a reality show where a girl had a rhinoplasty.  Breaking someones nose with hammer and chisel like instruments...NO THANKS.  After that I had no sweet clue what I wanted to study.  Thankfully the Brentwood College uni counsellors knew more about me than I did.  So I packed my things and moved across the country, my mother cried and my dad thought the program I picked was stupid (International Development Studies = Learning How to Become a Professional Volunteer), not uncommon reactions from parents of new uni students.  Skip through 5 years and I have moved back and forth across the country a few times, taken time off school, learned a SH*T ton about myself, the value of work ethic, how much being a functioning adult costs (A LOT…wtf life) and then all of a sudden found myself back on the East Coast.  When I took time off school and moved to Edmonton my loving mother was kind enough to inform me of her personal opinion on this matter.  And I quote "...moving to Edmonton is the worst idea you have ever had.  You are throwing away your education and future.  You will never go back to school after this".  So when the congratulations on graduating letter came from the President of Dalhousie I couldn't help but send a copy to my parents...who probably by now have it framed and hanging next to my degree on the wall.

Sorry mum, I have to tell this story whenever the occasion arises...I will be milking it for as long as I can.



Shin Dong Hyuk  
honorary degree recipient at Spring 2014 Arts Convocation

I don't quite remember this moment haha

yah baby ;)

being blinded by the light, 
figuratively and literally


Mum, Me, L, and Dad

ahahahah I just realized my mum and I do the same head tilt in photos




Professor H and I

H and I 

Me and Shin!

Which I then put on Instagram 

Now commence the obligatory grad photos with the Dalhousie sign

  



white dress + chill = disaster waiting to happen
therefor the napkin bib was necessary

white dress by obakki
locket from my late grandmother

The dress I wore to graduation I actually only bought the day before.  For one of the first times in my life I had no sweet clue what I wanted to wear, the only prerequisite was that I wanted a dress with pockets...which you wouldn't expect to be too hard to find.  And yes, the only reason I wanted a dress with pockets was so I could bring snacks to graduation.


A few days after graduation my mum and I were off to Turkey!  I'll post those photos in the next couple days!

**Photo cred to L, R, and my parents

No comments:

Post a Comment